- Current Retail Landscape Remains Strong
- Core retail sales are up 6.5% from last year; online sales grew 29.6% Y-O-Y and make up 19.4% of core retail sales
- While online sales have made up most of the gains, store-based sales have also increased 2.3% Y-O-Y
- Gains for store-based retailers are mostly concentrated in home repair, groceries, and necessity-based retailers
- Holiday Sales Could Provide Boost to Real Estate
- Holiday retail sales could have a significant impact since consumption drives about 2/3 of the U.S. economy
- Current forecasts for sales growth vary greatly, from 1% to 5% growth over last year’s holiday sales
- Any growth in sales will help sustain the economy until a medical solution unlocks a wave of spending
- Holiday Season Expected to Drive Retail Sales
- Holiday sales could reinvigorate underperforming Retail sectors, such as apparel and entertainment
- Consumption may increase Self-Storage and Industrial demand; seasonal hiring would support Apartments
Archives for November 2020
Is the end of the pandemic in sight?
Pandemic Continues to Weigh Down Economic Recovery
- Unemployment claims are far below their Spring peak, but remain higher than any week in the Financial Crisis
- And while overall retail sales have recovered, sectors like restaurants and entertainment continue to lag behind
What impact will the election results have on real estate investors?
Election Outcome Remains Uncertain
- While election results are not yet final, the likely outcome will be a divided Congress with Biden as president
- A split government is unlikely to enact significant reforms and may only pass a moderate stimulus package
What Is GDP and how does it impact investors?
What is Gross Domestic Product (GDP)?
- GDP measures the economic output of a country
- It includes the total value of all final goods and services produced by a country